Date:      Tue, 12 Dec 2000 09:55:02 -0500
From:      "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        "Den" <ticktick@lineone.net>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: PPP

> > Den wrote:
> John wrote:
>
> >  2) and when i boot up, it automatically dials my modem (i just
> >  noticed this, god knows how big my phone bill is), how do i turn
> >  this off
>
> Ooops; can't help with the phone bill but you need to put:
> 'ppp_mode="auto"' in /etc/rc.conf so that ppp only dials when necessary.
> Also put ' set timeout 300' in your ppp.conf so that ppp will close the
> connection if there's no activity for 5 minutes.

This may not fix the problem.  Even with 'ppp_mode="auto"', the modem will
pick up and dial in order to resolve DNS queries (such as those from
sendmail) when the system boots, as well as other traffic when the system is
up (ping, etc.)

You should configure some filters in your PPP setup so that things like DNS,
ICMP and NetBIOS traffic don't bring up your net connection - just things
like web surfing and email.

Check /usr/share/examples/ppp/ppp.conf.samples for details on how to set
filters up.  You'd be most interested in any 'set filter dial' lines.

--
Matthew Emmerton