Date:      Tue, 14 Jan 2003 11:53:39 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        Dan Aiello <aielloda@cs.purdue.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: installing win2k after Freebsd?

Ceri Davies wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 14, 2003 at 11:42:39AM -0500, Dan Aiello wrote:
>
>>Here's my situation. I already have a machine dual booting Win2k and
>>freebsd. Originally, I installed Freebsd second, so that I could get the
>>bootloader. However, now I'm going to repartition my windows drives, so
>>I'll need to reinstall windows 2000.
>>
>>I know there's got to be a way to make this work and keep the freebsd boot
>>loader. I've heard there's a way to tell a windows installation not to
>>install a boot loader.
>
> Windows 2000 won't touch your boot loader, IIRC.

And even if it does, you can boot of a FreeBSD install CD, got to the fdisk
section and tell it to write changes (without changing anything) and you'll
get the option to replace the FreeBSD boot loader.

Warning on this, exactly which buttons you select determines whether or not
the bootloader gets installed.  I did it like 3 times or something before it
worked the last time I had to, but the good news is that it never did anything
wrong.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies