Date:      Wed, 5 Jan 2000 13:17:31 -0600
From:      "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@futuresouth.com>
To:        Dirk Froemberg <dirk@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        patrick@whetstonelogic.com, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports/15857: new standalone port of php3 for ports/www

On Tue, Jan 04, 2000 at 11:13:38PM +0100, a little birdie told me
that Dirk Froemberg remarked
> Hi Patrick!
>
> On Mon, Jan 03, 2000 at 01:17:07PM -0500, patrick@whetstonelogic.com wrote:
> > On  3 Jan, Dirk Froemberg wrote:
>
> > I did not know of any problems with the shared php3 apache module (php
> > suggests this type of install), and it's been running fine like this on
> > my servers for a few weeks now.  Maybe we haven't hit the bugs.
>
> Maybe these problems are gone, now. I haven't checked it recently.

FWIW, I haven't seen any problems, tho I certainly haven't been hammering
it too hard.

> > What do you think?  I'm fine without the port, but thought others might
> > have been in the same situation, and like it.
>
> I'd still like not to import mod_php. I'd prefer to strip down
> apache13-php3 to mod_php eventually someday. (I hope this is possible
> at all. Some PHP extensions must be statically linked. But this
> can be tested of course.)
>
> But let's see if someone else joins the discussion before I start shooting
> around... ;-)

I did my PHP installs manually, because I was being stubborn and couldn't
decide between PHP3 and PHP4, so I just installed both.  Just did Apache
out of ports and the PHP modules manually.  I thought about submitting
the standalone modules as ports, but I never got a properly shaped tuit.
I didn't see anything in the config/etc that would make using PHP as a
shared obj any different from compiling it in though; I have MySQL
support, SNMP support, and a few other things in it and working fine.

--
Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)     |    fullermd@over-yonder.net
Unix Systems Administrator      |    fullermd@futuresouth.com