Date:      Thu, 19 Sep 1996 12:23:01 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
To:        mike.grove@usask.ca (Michael Grove)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Instalation Problems

Michael Grove writes:

> I am running into problems installing the Minimum FreeBSD 2.1.5 package from
> a DOS partition on one Hard Drive onto a Second drive that will be devoted
> to FreeBSD. I can get through all the configeration steps but when it tryes
> to accually copy the files over it returns the following error ...
>
> Write failure on transfer! (wrote -1 bytes of 1024 bytes)
>
> Unable to transfer the bin distribution from wd0s1
>
> I have all the bin files in the directory C:\FreeBSD\Bin.  I am also running
> Win95.  Any ideas as to what could be wrong??

Win95.

> Thanks in advance for any help you supply.

This is becoming a FAQ.  If you have trouble installing from a
Microsoft partition, don't do it.  Use CD-ROM or tape or even
floppies.  We really can't anticipate all the nonsense that Microsoft
does, and I suspect that this particular problem is due to an
incompatibility between Win95 and the traditional FAT16 file system.

Greg