Date:      Tue, 10 Aug 1999 13:54:49 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Roy Bettle <rbettle@criterion-group.com>, John Horn <jhorn1@desperate.ci.tucson.az.us>
Cc:        misc@openbsd.org, "Questions List FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Microsoft ask users to crack win2000 site (fwd)

At 10:15 AM -0700 8/10/99, Roy Bettle wrote:
> 1) M$ is having a hard enough time just getting the Win2K computer
>    to stay running.  The first time they turned it on and placed
>    it "in the line of fire" for this challenge, it crashed within
>    4 hours and was subsequently down for over 24 hours.

> with something so ridiculously unstable?

I think you concentrated too much on the bugtraq posting (which was
tacked on the end of the message sent to these lists), and missed
the actual question meant for these lists.

He wasn't saying that we should help, or in any way be associated
with the Microsoft W2K development.  He's just saying that maybe
we should offer a similar challenge, but using *BSD boxes.  I
know that some of the Mac-related web sites are comparing the
"success" of this W2K challenge with a similar challenge running
on a LinuxPPC machine.

I myself don't know if it's worth the time to put up such BSD-based
boxes with a similar challenge, but I can see where it might gain
some favorable attention.  The only way this would HELP microsoft is
if it turned out that W2K *is* more stable than *BSD.  My guess is
that that isn't going to happen.  At the same time, I myself would
not want to offer up a box as an "official target" for much of
anyone, so I'm not volunteering to do it...   :-)

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.acs.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute