Date:      Sun, 21 Jan 2001 15:29:22 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        "Donald J . Maddox" <dmaddox@sc.rr.com>
Cc:        Alex Zepeda <jazepeda@pacbell.net>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: Strange booting lockups

--+nBD6E3TurpgldQp

On Sun, Jan 21, 2001 at 06:05:20AM -0500, Donald J . Maddox wrote:

> It may have absolutely nothing to do with either of these cases, but
> I found out the hard way recently that booting with no device.hints
> in /boot will exhibit symptoms that appear identical to this.  Is it
> possible that something is trashing the device list, or not initializing
> it properly at kernel load time?

This is a different problem. If you don't have device hints available
at boot (statically compiled into the kernel or loaded from /boot)
then the console driver doesn't get its hints, and doesn't work in the
manner you describe.

Kris

--=20
NOTE: To fetch an updated copy of my GPG key which has not expired,
finger kris@FreeBSD.org

--+nBD6E3TurpgldQp

--+nBD6E3TurpgldQp--