Date:      Thu, 30 Jan 1997 19:02:14 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@dimaga.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ipdivert & masqd

At 08:04 AM 1/30/97 -0700, you wrote:
>In message <199701292038.MAA19786@freefall.freebsd.org> Darren Reed writes:
>> It is a *much* better idea to redirect IRC to a local TCP port and process
>> it using a proxy agent.  Same could also be said for FTP.
>
>Yes.  It is.  However, you also have to do the same for Talk, Real
>Audio and at least one other protocol that encodes either the IP
>address or ports of the system.

I'm thinking about doing transparent proxying for the protocols, but I want
to see how well the packet-patching version run first.  As it is, it is
(hopefully) right in 99% of the cases, and it scales well.  If I get
reports of real-life problems I'll make it a priority to make proxies, but
not before.
(And the packet-patchers will still be an option - for most people, they
probably are a better or as good solution.)

Eivind Eklund / perhaps@yes.no / http://maybe.yes.no/perhaps/