Date:      Tue, 11 Jul 2000 16:43:22 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Keith M Ives - Contractor - ASIM Tech <kmives@sorta.kelly.af.mil>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Looking for the tape drive

In the last episode (Jul 11), Keith M Ives - Contractor - ASIM Tech said:
> Hello,
> Yes, I am a newbie to FreeBSD, but not to UNIX.
> I want to see the tape drive status.  When I use the "mt status"
> (defaults to /dev/nrsa0), the system echos back:
> mt: /dev/nrsa0: Device not configured.
> I can see the device in dmesg:
> sa0 at ahc0 bus 0 target 4 lun 0
> sa0: <Seagate STT20000N 6A51> Removable Sequential Access SCSI-2 device
> sa0: 10.000MB/s transfers (10.000MHz, offset 15)
>
> I do not have a tape loaded, and this is where (in Solaris for example)
> I would expect "...tape not loaded or drive offline".
> Do I need to load a tape to get a status, or do I have bigger problems?
> Thanks

Yes and No, in that order. :).  The sa device returns the same error
codes for "tape drive not present" and "tape not present", which is why
you get a "device not configured" error.  You can use the /dev/rsa0.ctl
device to get status when there is no tape in the drive.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com