Date:      Thu, 11 Jun 1998 02:03:15 -0700
From:      "Jack Velte" <jackv@earthling.net>
To:        "Wes Peters" <wes@softweyr.com>, "Dave" <dave@gregory.dyn.ml.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: gartner group article

>Dave wrote:
>>
>> Forgive me if this has been discussed- I've been out of the
>> mix for a bit. Just wondering if anybody had any thoughts on
>> the gartner group article linked from the FreeBSD website.
>> (This seems worthy of a 'chat'.)
>> I refer specifically to
>> http://advisor.gartner.com/inbox/articles/ihl2_6398.html
>>
>In it they say such things as:
>"Unix systems at free or minimal charge will lack the performance
>tuning, scalability and hardware platform support to make them suitable
>for large commercial applications through 2002 (0.9 probability).

there is only a 10% chance notFreeBSD, FeeBSD, will succeed.  'minimal
charge' implies no free unix company yet services high end accounts at
$250/hour or more.

> Linux will not displace mainstream commercial Unix versions from IBM,
>Hewlett-Packard, Sun  Microsystems and The Santa Cruz Operation in the
>next five years as commercial Unix vendors shift focus to Windows NT (0.8
>probability)."

i like the probabilities on these predictions.  i agree with this one, too.
they don't say anything about FreeBSD, though.

a serious FreeBSD would hurt sco, hwp, sunw, and msft.

>While the
>development of SMP support in -current has been herculean

this is good news.  are there any programmers writing hardware neural net
code?

>that even our intrepid -core members will have the time or machine
>resources to tune FreeBSD-SMP for machines with 64, 128, or 256
>processors.

even if they were paid $400/hour?

>Their conclusions about NT in this arena are colored a bit by
>Microsoft marketing hype.  The 'trade press'

at MIT's business school, they teach NT is 100% better than anything else.
but it's such a fraud.

> seems far too willing
>to believe Microsoft has tamed the 'thousand monkeys' approach to
>developing large software projects.  In fact, I'll go so far as
>to coin "Wes Peters corollary to Brooks Law:"
>
>"Adding thousands of programmers to a slow program makes it slower."

how many people actually work on the FreeBSD operating system?

-jack