Date:      Wed, 27 Aug 1997 11:36:57 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Wes Peters <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        steelr@apk.net
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   just a quick one promise!!!

Jason P. writes:
 > hi, i've been reading alot of ducumentation on frebsb and it looks
 > seems as though it is superior to most os's.

You're right, it is.  ;^)

 > I'm currently using win95

Certainly *much* better than that!

 > on a 486dx4/100 and I spend hours a day on the net.  Also spending
 > alot of time on the irc.  I was just wondering (and I know this is
 > gonna be a real stupid question,but charm me!)  If I install bsd on
 > my pc will i have to get rid of win95?? (my girlfriend will kill me)

Nope.

 > and if not then wouldnt I have to partition my hard drive??

Or just buy another, bigger one, and put FreeBSD on the new one.  ;^)

 > From spending some time in irc I'm finding out just how volnurable
 > win95's winsock's are and everybody tells me to switch to linux or
 > dont come on irc they declared war with nukes,floods,bots etc...and
 > they will always win....

Yeah, IRC was another good idea taken over by children with no manners.
I guess it is the logical conclusion of the CompuServer cb-simulator,
but I just don't bother.  Too little information, too much flaming.

 > so I need the security but more important i need the knowledge of
 > source code....

You'll get both with FreeBSD.  The FreeBSD security team does a very
good job if identifying problems in FreeBSD and its utilities, and the
entire development team is very responsive to fixing security holes.  I
don't know that anyone is looking much at the security of IRC on
FreeBSD, but they'd probably welcome your help.

 > never even saw it...
 > windows has kept me in the dark long enough........

Snort.

 > Be honest, is this an operating sys that a newbie like me can cope
 > with or is it just to much for someone who really does'nt know the
 > inner working's of a pc....

Everyone here was a newbie at some time.  (Mine was long before FreeBSD
came out, but that's not the point.  ;^)  There is plenty of help on
this newsgroup, and in the Handbook and other documentation available
with the system or on the FreeBSD web site(s).  Plus, just about any
book you pick up about UNIX will talk about BSD, which (mostly) applies
to FreeBSD.

 > cuz i really do wanna learn...

You've come to the right place.  FTP the boot floppy over or buy a
CD-ROM and get busy!