Date:      Tue, 14 May 1996 09:41:40 +0900
From:      Toshihiro Kanda <candy@fct.kgc.co.jp>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Does /stand/sysinstall overwrite existing system?

  I'm running FreeBSD 2.1 on sd1, and unformatted disk is on sd0.

  I wanted to install FreeBSD 2.2-960501 onto sd0 from existing
FreeBSD by running /stand/sysinstall.  I selected only sd0 for `Select
Drive(s)' dialog, then continued.

  Unfortunately, it seemed to freeze when `Extracting bin into /
directory...' indicated `7%'.  I rebooted the machine, then found that
root and /etc or /bin stuff of sd1 was overwritten by sysinstall so
that nobody cannot login anymore.

  Is this the expected behavior or any kind of bug?  Is there a way to
install a new system by existing sysinstall?

candy@fct.kgc.co.jp (Toshihiro Kanda)