Date:      Mon, 26 Oct 1998 18:57:09 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        chuckr@mat.net (Chuck Robey)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, mike@smith.net.au, selvaraj@sri.lanka.net, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Oracle8 Release 8.0.5 for LINUX 2.0.34

> > > Oracle will not run on FreeBSD at this stage.  It is likely that it
> > > will not be supported on the 2.2.x family at all.
> >
> > Unless you get the version of Oracle that Oracle sells on their
> > FreeBSD-running NC server, in which case it runs great on 2.2.6
> > and above.
> >
> > This would incidently make it a FreeBSD issue instead of a Linux
> > emulation issue, killing two birds with one stone.  8-).
>
> Last time I heard from John Dyson on this list about that, the FreeBSD
> version wasn't a publicly available thing.  Love to have it, I'm doing a
> Oracle class project now, and it sure would be lovely to have (drool!)

You don't get if you don't ask.

In other words, ask them for it.  The difference between an internal
and a public release is whether there is a perceived market for the
thing or not.

It's not like they have additional porting effort, and it's not like
they don't already have to support it internally, so it's almost
zero work for them to do a release -- if there's a market.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.