Date:      Mon, 4 Mar 2002 21:16:37 +0100 (MET)
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch)
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org, questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
Subject:   Re: scsi problems [device x?]

[This really belongs to freebsd-questions instead.  Please honor
the reply-to accordingly.]

Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com> wrote:

> SCSI(4)                FreeBSD Kernel Interfaces Manual
> NAME
>      SCSI, CAM - CAM SCSI subsystem
> SYNOPSIS
>      device scbus
>      device scbus1 at ahc0 [snip]
>      device da
>
> [1] When manpages refer to a line of text saying "device pcm0" or
> whatever, where do they intend for you to enter that text, i.e. in which
> file?

Please read intro(4).  There it's explained that they belong to the
kernel config file.

> [2] I feel I am using a generic "PnP" kernel, and would like info on
> how to recompile (rebuild?) the kernel to only load what is
> pertinent to my system, help?  Is this difficult, and does it
> involve cc/gcc/build? :(

Please read the appropriate section of the handbook, it explains it in
good detail.  You might have installed it locally, somewhere under
/usr/share/doc, or just read it at http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/,
or one of the mirrors.

> On Sat, 2 Mar 2002, Kenneth Wayne Culver wrote:

Oh, please no full quotes, in particular not in such a fairly
unrelated case.