Date:      Sat, 04 Sep 1999 16:17:52 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CFD: "bogomips" CPU performance metric

Oliver Fromme wrote:
> Nick Sayer wrote in list.freebsd-hackers:
>  > Linux generates a meric of CPU performance as a byproduct of calibrating
>  > a delay loop.
>
> It's not a metric of CPU performance.  It's just a meaningless
> number, and its relation to the actual performance of the
> machine is very questionable.

My evil streak makes me want to do something like this under boot -v, but
with a twist... Figure out a vague partity with the Linux numbers and then
make sure it reports about 3 times higher along with something like this:

"This cpu rates XXXXX (meaningless) bogomips.."

.. where the reported number is significantly higher than linux would
report on the same hardware...  That would serve two purposes... one to
undermine the ``benchmark'' and the other to tease the various clueless
folks with.

Cheers,
-Peter