Date:      Wed, 28 Jul 1999 11:44:42 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/release/sysinstall tcpip.c

<<On Thu, 22 Jul 1999 19:11:33 -0700, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com> said:

> I actually share your opinion about the proper defense against
> sniffing being proper network design (use switches/vlans/etc) and
> not turning off bpf, but I'm not the one you need to convince here. :-)

Switches won't help (unless you turn learning off and manually
configure every Ethernet address in your entire network into every
switch).  All an attacker has to do to sniff your packets is to send
packets pretending to be you, thereby causing the switches to learn
the attacker's location.

-GAWollman