Date:      Tue, 12 Jan 1999 16:34:01 +0000
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
Cc:        Tim Stinnett <trinity@ioa.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: chat

> Tim Stinnett wrote:
> >
> > >It would help if you include your /etc/ppp/ppp.conf file with your
> > >message
> > A copy of the ppp.conf file is included below.  To recap the problem I am
> > having:  All attempts at connecting using ppp result in "Warning: Chat
> > script failed".  I can start ppp and dial into my ISP using the term command
> > and it appears I go into packet mode.  I can run a background command and
> > ping my ISP and get results back(At least that happened once.  I tried it
> > again last night and it didn't work).  If I try  ppp -auto provider nothing
> > happens.  No dialing of the modem, etc..  But I will get the same message.
> > "Warning: Chat script failed".
> >
> > Tim
> > Here is a copy of my ppp.conf file located at /etc/ppp
> >
> > default:
> >    set device /dev/cuaa4
> >    set speed 115200
> >    set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 \"\" ATE1Q0
> >  OK-AT-OK\\dATDT\\T TIMEOUT 40 CONNECT"
> > provider:
> >    set login "TIMEOUT 10 \"\" \"\" gin:--gin: myname word: myword"
>                            ^^^^^^^^^
> This looks rather suspicious, what is it for? I think they are
> un-necessary. You're saying to expect nothing twice, so if the login
> prompt arrives that could be causing the message.
>
> The man page, Handbook, and ppp.conf.sample all show ``TIMEOUT 10
> gin:--gin:''. Try that instead.

The above is ok too.  Because send-strings will have a trailing line
feed unless they're specified with \c at the end, the above will
expect nothing, and send \n.  This probably should be offered in the
man pages :-)

> Actually, are you sure that your ISP doesn't use CHAP/PAP?? In which
> case you need ``set authname'' and ``set authkey'' rather than ``set
> login''.
[.....]

Of course, enabling chat logging (``set log phase chat'') would
probably reveal what the problem is....

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org> <brian@FreeBSD.org> <brian@OpenBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;