Date:      Sun, 10 Mar 2002 19:12:42 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <csfbsd@raggedclown.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: system crash

On Sun, Mar 10, 2002 at 09:53:55AM -0800, Dale Morris wrote:
> I've got a problem with 4.5 system. A couple of times this past week my
> computer has crashed and rebooted itself. I wasn't around when it happened and
> the first time didn't pay much attention, thought it was a power
> outage or something.
>
> This morning it had crashed and wouldn't boot, it couldn't mount /usr if
> I remember right. I looked for some recovery info and fsck'd /  I got
> error messages that there were several blocks that were unrecognizable,
> but she booted up and works OK.
>
> I have tried to fsck from run level 1 and the fsck command shows my hd is 0.9%
> fragmented. I also remember something about an ioctl error.. but don't
> remember what, though.
>
> I suspicion my problem is related to the cusv update that runs at night
> or maybe because I reconfigured my network to use dhcp and didn't do it
> properly.
>
> I'm wondering what to do from here. I've been toying with the idea of
> reinstalling, if only to get a clean XF86 4.1 configuration, rather than
> the 3.3 that defaulted on the original install.  Or if I could get this
> crash problem solved I might just keep my existing system. Suggestions?

I think, as always if you have had a stable system for sometime, and
crashes start to occur first check the hardware. Run memtest to see if
the memory is sound, if you are overclocking the CPU, downclock it a
little to see if that stops it. Try repeatedly running something very
stressful on the system to see if it breaks it (running make buildworld
is a good one). Check it is not getting too hot, that the fans are
working. Is your electricity supply prone to spikes ? Get a power
adapter that can suppress them..etc etc. You can also get the disk
checking program for your hard disk(s) from the manafacturer's website
(they all have them) and run some non-destructive tests on the disks.

If you suspect some event is triggering it, as mentioned above, then
disable that for a night or two, run it by hand when you are around.
I really doubt your network or cvsup can in themselves be the cause of
this, unless you have uncovered a bug .. or have been cracked :(.

--
Regards
   Cliff Sarginson -- <csfbsd@raggedclown.net>