Date:      Thu, 30 Mar 2000 08:57:21 -0800 (PST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Kiril Mitev <kiril@ideaglobal.com>
Cc:        chad@DCFinc.com, didier@omnix.net, jkh@zippy.cdrom.com, cracauer@cons.org, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Let 3.x die ASAP?

On Thu, 30 Mar 2000, Kiril Mitev wrote:

> In other words "2.2 is our most stable version"

I hope you realise that no single person speaks for FreeBSD, especially
people who aren't committers. That said, a lot of people found 2.2 to be a
very stable branch. A lot of people found the same thing about 3.4, but
others didn't. Others complained about 2.2 as well - if a version
doesn't work on your machine for whatever reason then of course you're
going to complain about it being 'unstable' (some people take this to
ridiculous extremes). FreeBSD isn't perfect - it is, I claim, very good,
and better than the competition, but their marketing departments do
everything they can to convince you otherwise.

If for some reason they don't want to go to the 3.x branch because of any
percieved or real problems, staying with 2.2 is a perfectly reasonable
option if it works for you.

This isn't Microsoft where we instantly stop supporting our previous
releases the moment we release an 'upgrade' (true, the ports collection no
longer supports 2.x, but thats for sheer manpower reasons that it's
difficult enough to make ports work on 3 branches, let alone 4). Use the
tool that works for you.

Kris

----