Date:      Thu, 5 Nov 1998 15:32:08 +1100
From:      David Dawes <dawes@rf900.physics.usyd.edu.au>
To:        Taguchi Takeshi <taguchi@tohoku.iij.ad.jp>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ELFoized xtt-SVGA-1.0 & TrueType fonts => HANG

On Thu, Nov 05, 1998 at 12:58:04PM +0900, Taguchi Takeshi wrote:
>> xfstt and xfsft are different.  The latter uses the FreeType library
>> and the former doesn't.  There is a summary of the options at
>> http://www.xfree86.org/FAQ#TTF.
>
>Additionaly, xfstt and xfsft supports very few encodings.
>But X-TrueType support many kind of encodings include
>Asian/Europian fonts.

The encoding support in xfsft has recently been extended (and users can
add additional encodings).  The entry in the XFree86 FAQ I'm referring
to says that X-TrueType is better when using ideographic scripts (but
for other reasons).

We at XFree86 are hoping to have a FreeType-based solution that uses
the best features of xfsft and X-TrueType included as part of XFree86 4.0.

David