Date:      Thu, 30 Nov 2000 11:01:36 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, Nicholas Basila <nbasila@epcot.revenio.com>, jonas.bulow@servicefactory.se, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Here is what IBM thinks about using FreeBSD on their newerThinkpads

Brett Glass wrote:

> When IBM acquired Whistle, it acquired a product that included,
> and in fact depended upon, GPLed code because FreeBSD does. How
> did it handle this situation? Is there any chance that IBM might be
> interested in helping to free the BSDs from the GPL?

The InterJet is *built with* GPL compilers, but does not *incorporate*
any GPL code into the product.  That is one of the reasons why several
of us push back every time somebody wants to stuff GPL code into the
base operating system.  But I'm preaching to the choir on this point,
aren't I Brett?  ;^)

(mobile trimmed because this doesn't seem to have anything to do with
mobile computing anymore.)