Date:      Sun, 17 Nov 1996 21:18:29 -0700 (MST)
From:      Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To:        =?KOI8-R?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA_=FE=C5=D2=CE=CF=D7?= <ache@nagual.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: BoS: Exploit for sendmail smtpd bug (ver. 8.7-8.8.2).

Incorrect.  Sendmail still attempts a lookup for something, I think it is
the local hostname, for each piece of mail it processes.  Last I checked,
this could NOT be disabled without recompiling sendmail.  Modifying your
config file or adding a service.switch file does not stop it.

Normally this isn't a problem without DNS since the query will fail right
away and sendmail will go on its happy way, but it is a big problem when
you have a machine with some type of dial on demand networking setup that
gets mail via uucp.

Followups should go somewhere more appropriate, perhaps hackers if it is
remotely technical or chat if not. =20