Date:      Sat, 6 Oct 2001 04:00:59 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "E.B. Dreger" <eddy+public+spam@noc.everquick.net>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   4.4-R kernel.GENERIC hates mlx cards?

Greetings all,

Anyone else tried booting 4.4-R GENERIC with an mlx controller?
The machine on which I tried[1] just sits there (numlock works,
CTRL+ALT+DEL does nothing) when attempting to mount root.  IIRC,
it was unhappy even when root was on ad0 -- the mere presence
of a DAC960 seems to be a problem.

[1]The config is as follows:

+ Chaintech 6BTA3 m/b
+ Trident 9660 PCI vid (no flames, please; it was laying around)
+ Compaq 21143PC NIC
+ DAC960PDU-1 w/ 3.51-0-04 firmware

Yes, I'm using the 2 GB BIOS.  I can't even run the boot loader
off of my mlx volume if using the 8 GB BIOS.

I compiled a custom kernel minus "a lot" of extra drivers, and
all is well.  No big deal, as I doubt that any RAID-using person
would run GENERIC, anyhow...

...but I have no ISA devices in this system.  I should think that
any potentially dangerous ISA-probing code would not have a
chance to stumble on a PCI device.  I'll check my m/b BIOS
version, and will soon try a mlx 2.73 card on a Biostar M6TLA
board.

I'm not comfortable filing a PR until I have more info, and rule
out my config, but thought that I'd pass on this much info.  The
system seems perfectly happy once running, but I've not flogged
it heavily yet.

Eddy

Brotsman & Dreger, Inc. - EverQuick Internet Division
Phone: +1 (316) 794-8922 Wichita/(Inter)national
Phone: +1 (785) 865-5885 Lawrence