Date:      Sat, 16 Dec 2000 19:07:57 +0200 (IST)
From:      Roman Shterenzon <roman@harmonic.co.il>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   mozilla and 4.2-RELEASE

Hi,
Yesterday I installed vanilla 4.2 (the second revision of iso image) on a new
computer, and then, after updating the ports tree I did:
cd /usr/ports/www/mozilla; make install
several hours later it finished and installed the mozilla package.
Running it produces a segmentation fault, running mozilla-bin even creates
a core file. I looked at it, and seems that perhaps the stack was mutilated,
since I didn't see anything unusual there (I can post it later, if anyone is
interested).
Now, at home I'm running mozilla which I've compiled under 4.1-STABLE and I'm
runnning 4.2-RELEASE, so, since no patches to mozilla port were added since
then, I guess that it's something wrong either with the compiler or linker (or
both). Like I said, I run old binary under 4.2-RELEASE, and it works ok, so
the run-time environment is ok (libc_r, etc.).
Did anyone notice this misbehavior? Does it have something to do with the "mysql
coredumps" thread we've seen here? Should I try the patch obrien posted?
Ideas?
P.S. The only other difference is that at home I use XFree86-4 and there it was
XFree86-3.3.6 which came with the distribution, however, the failure was in the
mozilla internal function(s), so I doubt that it's relevant.

--Roman Shterenzon, UNIX System Administrator and Consultant
[ Xpert UNIX Systems Ltd., Herzlia, Israel. Tel: +972-9-9522361 ]