Date:      Sun, 14 Mar 1999 15:36:23 -0500 (EST)
From:      Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fifabit ethernet -- what am I doing wrong?

Okay, here's an update. I've been reading all the replies to this
thread, but it turns out that my main problem is that, as expected,
I was screwing something up.

The Tigon has a PCI state register which lets you configure several
aspects operation. Two of the parameters are PCI read max and PCI write
max, which force termination of PCI reads or writes at a specified
boundaries 4 bytes, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 1K. I had originally set
the read and write max values for 32. It turns out that disabling
these settings (by making them 0) yields _much_ better performance.

After fixing that, I ran into another situation where I kept filling
up the transmit ring (or rather, the NIC wasn't emptying the transmit
ring fast enough). Normally the Tigon has both the PCI read and write
DMA channels active at the same time, but you can force only one to
be active at a time by setting a bit in the operating mode register.
The manual recommends _not_ doing this, but setting it yielded yet
another jump in performance.

Right now I can transmit UDP packets at around 55MB/sec with the
normal MTU and can get 91MB/sec by setting the MTU to 9000 (using
jumbo frames). TCP speed has improved too, but not quite so much as I
expected (I can get 40MB/sec with a window size of 64K and normal
MTU, 66MB/sec with jumbo frames). I still need to experiment with
the various tuning options though. I also haven't really tried
checksum offloading yet.

-Bill