Date:      Fri, 5 Dec 1997 18:52:06 -0800 (PST)
From:      Alex <garbanzo@hooked.net>
To:        "David E. Cross" <dec@phoenix.its.rpi.edu>
Cc:        John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu>, Jaye Mathisen <mrcpu@cdsnet.net>, Jim Bryant <jbryant@unix.tfs.net>, ircadmin@shellnet.co.uk, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Telnet Root access

On Fri, 5 Dec 1997, David E. Cross wrote:

> > Actually it doesn't really even prevent that.  Su just adds more detailed
> > logging of the attempts, which are more likely (IMO) to draw attention.
> many people will just capture the fist 100 or so characters sent to a
> session... logging everything you enter on a connection is a waste of
> space, and they need to dig through tht later.
>
> IMO: sending the root password plaintext over the network at any time is a
> *NO*.  I *only* use ssh to connect as root (even when su-ing), and only
> from a host I trust, and a binary I trust.  I have learned the hard way
> not to compromise on neteork/system security.

AFAIK, su just logs information like so:

Dec  5 17:18:44 zippy su: alex to root on /dev/ttyp0
or
Dec  5 18:49:43 zippy su: BAD SU alex to root on /dev/ttyp2

which is somewhat more informative than what login provides:

Dec  5 16:12:50 zippy login: ROOT LOGIN (root) ON ttyv1

Either way, you and everyone else who suggested ssh are right, ssh is
still the way to go if security is a concern.

- alex