Date:      Sat, 6 May 1995 18:03:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@ref.tfs.com>
To:        mtaylor@gateway.cybernet.com (Mark J. Taylor)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: lance Ethernet and > 16 Mb RAM failure

> Hi-
>
> I'm installing 2.0-950412-SNAP on a new system.  I've never used the 'lnc'
> ethernet drivers before, and I'm having difficulty getting them stable on a
> system with more than 16 Mb of RAM.

looks as if the bounce buffer code in the dma
using routines for non master dma, is broken,
OR maybe they are not using it correctly....

It sould use it's DMA in much the same way as the floppy driver does,
so that it can guarantee that the DMA will go to a buffer < 16MB
but this may not be the case..
(the floppy uses a low dma channel and the enet uses a high channel
so the floppy is doesn things in bytes where the enet will do things in 'words'
but still it should do the same logical thing.....

if you compare the two and find that they are NOT..
then  that's your problem

julian