Date:      Fri, 14 Jan 2005 10:26:01 -0700
From:      "Joe St.Louis" <admin@bsdhelp.net>
To:        "'Brian Bailey'" <animecowboy@animecowboy.com>
Cc:        'freebsd-ports' <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: mysql41-server/mysql40-server not starting?

I would have to concur with frank.

Make sure that you have the following line added to your /etc/rc.conf file

mysql_enable = "YES"

also make sure that if you are attempting to start it manually though the
rc.d, then just double check that you are indeed SU. Otherwise just reboot.

If you still don't get it to start, please send us the appropriate lines of
/var/log/messages

Regards
Joe