Date:      Tue, 12 Jan 1999 11:24:05 -0800 (PST)
From:      Keith Woodman <keith@lightningweb.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RAID

I have been given the task of installing FreeBSD 3.0 onto a dual 450Mhz
system for use as a web server. I know very little about RAID, just the
basics on the differnces between the versions.
The system has 6 - 9.5 gig drives in an array and came preinstalled with
3.0 .  I am supposed to take the system down and build it up from scratch
again as a learning exersize and intro to RAID.
	Here is my question.
  Are there any particulars I should know about while formating the disks
in the nifty FreeBSD install. Meaning, When I boot from the floppy and
begin the net install on this, will the system see the array as one drive
still or is there something in the way I partition and format the disks
that will make FreeBSD see it as a single disk?
I am assuming the RAID controler is taking care of this but am not
entirely sure. We are using UFS as our file system which I may also be
making the error of assuming makes no difference.
	Also, any advise, horror stories or words of wisdom on this would
be greatly appreciated. Most of all, I would like to find a good source of
reading on RAID as it pertains to FreeBSD.
Thank you to all that would respond.
Keith