Date:      Wed, 2 Oct 2002 19:53:54 -0700
From:      Eric Hodel <drbrain@segment7.net>
To:        attila! <attila@hun.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD-CURRENT <current@freebsd.org>, "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@scsiguy.com>
Subject:   Re: aic7890/91 controller

--Dxzxec4+BSbG6TGA

attila! (attila@hun.org) wrote:

>     Eric:
>=20
>     The aic 7890/91 is a dual 160 MB controller. Adaptec's
>     documentation expliciely states that the bus speed is the
>     rate of the _slowest_ device on the channel. Did you try
>     placing the cd on the B channel or vice-versa?  Tyan, in
>     their 2642 SMP manual, recommends that the faster (and
>     boot) drives be placed on the B bus.

Mine aic is far too old to be a dual 160 controller, its part of an ASUS
P2B-LS board.  As far as I recall, I've never had a B channel (there's
no connector for it on the motherboard).

I have a 50 pin connector, a 68 pin Wide-SCSI connector, and a 68 pin
U2LVD connector (to which my LVD is attached).  da1 and cd0 are attached
to the 50 pin connector.  The motherboard manual says an AIC-3860
transciever is used to bridge the non-LVD devices.

>     This worked fine for me through builds of 31 Dec; I
>     discovered with the 20 Feb slice that you could no
>     longer use both channels with CURRENT. the da drives
>     would boot from A or B, but when on B, the kernel would
>     not recognize the DVDRAM on A.  The SCSI firmware
>     utility always reported all drives correctly on both
>     channels.
>=20

--=20
Eric Hodel - drbrain@segment7.net - http://segment7.net
All messages signed with fingerprint:
FEC2 57F1 D465 EB15 5D6E  7C11 332A 551C 796C 9F04

--Dxzxec4+BSbG6TGA

--Dxzxec4+BSbG6TGA--