Date:      Mon, 26 Feb 2001 11:00:43 +1100
From:      "Corey Ralph" <corey.ralph@datafast.net.au>
To:        Len Conrad <LConrad@Go2France.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dedicated smtp relay box

On Sun, Feb 25, 2001 at 12:10:56PM +0100, Len Conrad wrote:

> Amazing!! 1.5 gb consumed by just 200 processes ?
>
> For comparison, I've seen postfix load up nearly 300 SMTP and 100
> SMTPD processes in a 512 mb machine.  Sounds like Wietse V has
> outcoded Daniel J there  :)))

Is that with the antivirus?

It is also running the remotes, as well as many pop3, imap, apache
for web mail etc.

> postfix is fast and easy to set up.  I can send you my config files
> and the sysctl params you need to open up FreeBSD to handle 200+
> SMPT/D processes.  Wietse has also updated the postfix FAQ with my
> sysctl tuning info.

Again, is that with the antivirus there slowing it down?  My existing
setup would do that without a problem if it weren't for the antivirus
software.

Looking at my hardware on hand, I could put together a box as large as
1 or 2 p3 800's, and 512MB or 1GB  of RAM.  How much do you think would
be necessary?

> yes, postfix.  I've setup over 30 ISP's with IMGate, and all are
> extremely pleased with the results. For some, adding a mail has
> transformed their ISP's mail environment and their users' love the
> 90% reduction in SPAM.  They learned the tremendous advantages of not
> putting all your baby 'roos in one pouch.  :))

Have you ever had any problems with that filtering spam?  I would like
something like that, but wouldn't do it if it filters any mail that
isn't spam.

> 1. border mail hub, or two for MX redundancy.  Try to
> export/duplicate your list of known mail users to this box so it can
> stop harvesting and other crap without DoS-sing the mailbox server to
> query for valid mail accounts.
>
> 2. AV scanner (block internet access to this box's port 25)
>
> 3. mailbox server (no longer in DNS MX records, and in some cases you
> can block access from Internet to its port 25)  Try to block port 25
> access from Internet to all you boxes so the border relay hub becomes
> the SMTP choke point(s) where you concentrate your defenses.

Sounds great, but here's where I am stuck:  all our users already point
their mail clients to mail.datafast.net.au (and others), for smtp/pop3/imap.
I can't change that.  So I am going to need to do it with port redirection
on the firewall, or something like that.  Changing the MX's is fine, but
I will need the redirection to force all of our customer's mail through
the antivirus.

I am thinking of setting up one box to do 1 & 2.  If the load grows too
large, I will add more boxes and load balance, as somebody on the list
suggested to me last week.

So, in summary, I would like to do this, how much hardware should I
throw at it?  It is delivering about 2.5GB a day, running AVP.

> Len

Cheers.
Corey