Date:      Mon, 28 Mar 2005 03:34:45 +0900
From:      Hiroharu Tamaru <tamaru@myn.rcast.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
To:        Matthew Chapman <matt.chapman@mac.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ia64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dell 3250

At Sat, 26 Mar 2005 21:54:21 -0500,
Matthew Chapman wrote:

> I recently saw a quick answer to how to install Freebsd 5.3 on a Dell
> 3250 by using a serial cable...  Still lost.  I only get the blinking
> cursor from booting with the cdrom.
>
> Anyone successfully do this install?
> Details?

I don't use dell but... This, in general?:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ia64/2005-February/000823.html

Mind you, you are not supposed to get anything on the video
console past boot loader: boot dmesg (and others) only
appears on the serial console, even after the install.  My
understanding is that you are supposed to use it via network
at the moment.

Also this thread might (or might not) be useful for
configureing 'the other side':
http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=32061+0+/usr/local/www/db/text/2004/freebsd-hardware/20040815.freebsd-hardware