Date:      Tue, 23 Mar 1999 14:13:11 -0800
From:      Yann Ramin <yramin@redshift.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Installation Problem

Hi,

	I'm having a small installation problem with FreeBSD on a server
system.  The system will boot both floppies fine, but when it comes to
either copying files to the hard disk (from a DOS partition or the
Internet) it hangs after it copies 1024 bytes.  At times it even hangs
when creating the file systems (especialy the root file system).  I have
tried numerous drive geometry settings, as well as several different
installation methods, different label/slice settings, and even
low-leveling the drive, with no luck.
Specs of the system:

1 Pentium 166 on an SMP capable board.
2 Onoard Adaptec AIC-7870 fast-wide SCSI-2 controllers
One 2GB IBM Tandem SCSI-2 drive, on the second controller, ID 4
8MB of Parity RAM

I feel this is a controller problem, as I saw no support for a 7870
controller in the hardware list, but the erratic behavior is strange,
freezing in various points.
Any help would be appreciated :)

Yann