Date:      Sun, 7 Apr 1996 03:28:49 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD-current users)
Subject:   Re: devfs questions

As Terry Lambert wrote:

> > I don't really like the current way either.  The fd0.foo entries
> > should be symlinks to `generic' fd0a ... fd0z entries, created by
> > the rc mechanism instead of by devfs.
>
> Bletch.  The slices should not be there. You are imposing a naming
> convention that isn't very flexible an which we would then have
> to live with forever.

Which slices?  I'm simply implying some form of subdevices.  The
actual meaning of them is run-time selectable.  It is already now,
there's a mostly unused utility fdcontrol(8), you can use it to make
your fd0.1720 device node accept 184 KB floppies instead. :-)

All i want is generic names, and leave it to userland to find
convenient names for it.  Format autodetection will never work for all
5E+23 different floppy formats that are available in the world.

> Better to force "changedisk" and suggest people buy good floppy
> drives

This is unrelated.  Changelin support is unavailable for exotic
drives, and i think it's also unavailable for drives 2 and 3.  I agree
that it should be used if it is there.  (Didn't i say the floppy
driver needs a rewrite? :-)

> The first thing to do is to cause 0x370 referencing code to be added
> to the floppy driver so that this is not a problem for 95% of all 3.5"
> disks.

There's not much different between modern 3.5in and 5.25in drives.
All AT drives are supposed to support changeline logic, and systems
like OS/2 do break if the drives are broken.

--
cheers, J"org