Date:      Wed, 2 Apr 1997 10:59:40 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        interrupt request <irq@stepahead.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: compiling

On Tue, 1 Apr 1997, interrupt request wrote:

> I have heard from many people that compiling software, just software in
> general, can prove to be quite difficult on FreeBSD........ is this true?
> For example, will ircu2.9.32 or BitchX-70p1 compile right out of the
> package?

It depends a lot on what the package does.  ONes that are somewhat system
intrusive will require porting.  The best way to find out is to pull it,
configure it for BSDi, NetBSD, or OpenBSD, and start fixing compile
errors.

Make sure a port (at ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports-<release>)
doesn't already exist for the item you are attempting to port.