Date:      Tue, 22 Jul 1997 16:22:18 -0400
From:      dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
To:        Alex Belits <abelits@phobos.illtel.denver.co.us>
Cc:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and NT

At 12:14 PM 7/22/97 -0700, you wrote:
>On Tue, 22 Jul 1997, Rod Ebrahimi wrote:
>
>> I am currently involved in a new Internet Presence Provider establishment
>
>  As I understand it, "Internet Presence Provider" == Internet Service
>Provider (ISP) that mostly handles HTTP servers, FTP servers, nameservers
>and mail relaying, but not ISDN lines and plain modem dialins?
>
>> and would really like to use FreeBSD on our systems. One of the reasons we
>> are skeptical and would rather use NT is mainly setup time
>
>  Even if FreeBSD required more time to install than NT (it doesn't)
>the choice of the operating system for a large HTTP or mail server
>that should be running for many years based on its *INSTALLATION TIME* is
>the most wrong thing, ISP can make. It's like to choose the car closest to
>the dealer's office because it takes less time to walk to it.
>
>> and expertise,
>> most of us working on this project do not know much about Unix (only basic
>> knowledge) but in turn know NT in and out.
>
>  If you are going to use NT for a large web server, I suggest you to
>choose other kind of business immediately.

I'm just using NT for web browsing and mail and I need to reboot
it every other day or so (just gets real slow)...It MIGHT be easier to
set up (I dont think it is....), but if something stops working  you have
to reinstall to get everything to work right again...its certainly much more
difficult to fine tune.

Dennis