Date:      Thu, 25 Apr 1996 22:47:33 +0100 (BST)
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@blueberry.co.uk>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   pppd dieing on close of line

Hi,

In the past hour or so I've succesfully got kernel mode PPP working as
a server on my FreeBSD box. Several of the Mac clients can now dial into
my machine and access IP services (telnet, www etc), both within the local
network and out via our router to the wider internet. This is on a box
running 2.1-stable.

So far so good. I thought this was too easy.

However, every time one of the clients shuts down their PPP connection,
my pppd dies as well. This is obviously rather bad, as it means that no
one else can connect.

>From my reading of the pppd man page, and the section relating to server
mode ppp in the handbook, this seems to be the opposite of what should
happen. As far as I can tell, the daemon is supposed to stay up until it
is explicitly killed.

Off the top of my head, I can think of two possible solutions. One would
be to list pppd in /etc/ttys, and leave init responsible for restarting
pppd. A quick trial of this leads to a slew of

    getty repeating too quickly on port %s, sleeping

The other solution would be to run getty on the modem port, and have logins
from a particular user run pppd as their shell. Experimenting with that
I see a wad of

    pppd[1535]: ioctl(TIOCSCTTY): Operation not permitted

messages from syslog, which suggests to me I may be barking up the wrong
tree.

Any suggestions from the folks in the know? If I get this working then I'll
write it up for the handbook (as the entry in there seems to hark back
to the days of 2.0).

I've included my /etc/ppp/options file.

== /etc/ppp/options
proxyarp
crtscts
194.70.52.50:
auth
+pap
/dev/ttyd0
19200
modem
login
netmask 255.255.255.0
domain blueberry.co.uk
passive
--
--+=[ Blueberry Hill                   Blueberry Design                   ]=+--
--+=[ http://www.blueberry.co.uk/      1/9 Chelsea Harbour Design Centre, ]=+--