Date:      Tue, 11 Dec 2001 07:33:12 +0100
From:      Kjell <kmidtset@c2i.net>
To:        darryl@osborne-ind.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Copy a running system

On Tuesday 11 December 2001 8:05 am, you wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Dec 2001, Darryl Hoar wrote:
> > Greetings,
> > I tediously setup a 4.4-stable box as
> > a firewall/router, etc.  I have it just
> > the way I want it.  I have two other boxes
> > a little different hardware) and was wondering
> > if I could copy the setup from my running firewall
> > to the other two boxes, then just tweak the differences?
> > This would save a BOATLOAD of time.

After I had loaded a basic system from the CDs I used to take notes on what I
had done. Now I have put all my notes in a shell shript.
To load a new system I first install the basic system, then I run the shell
shript. Thus the post install tweaking time is reduced to less than a second.
Yes, I normally will do a few things for the particular system being set up,
but nothing like doing it all from scratch.
Regards from Kjell