Date:      Fri, 25 Sep 1998 15:39:05 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
Cc:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG, gibbs@pluto.plutotech.com, imp@pluto.plutotech.com
Subject:   Re: installing bootblocks...

Doug Rabson writes:

 > > - or, figure out how to switch the root partition from a Digital Unix
 > >   format to a FreeBSD format.  Before, I tried something like this from
 > >   single user mode:
 > >
 > > 	- mount /dev/da1h /
 > > 	  "specified partition doesn't match mounted partition"

I tend to install *BSD/alpha by booting DU diskless, newfs'ing the
appropriate partitions & untarring the dist.

I run into the above problem because Digital UNIX handles special
files in some wacky way, so that special files change major/minor
numbers when viewed by DU or *BSD.

The easiest thing to do is to boot a normal kernel via bootp, then NFS
mount a fs where where root is mapped to 0 via NFS.  Then mount root
r/w, cd into /dev, delete everything but console (0 is always 0 :),
and rebuild your devices.

Something like this:
# ifconfig de0 xxxx  up
# mount w.x.y.z:/export/root /mnt