Date:      Wed, 4 Mar 1998 11:23:36 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        jak@cetlink.net (John Kelly)
Cc:        marc@bowtie.nl, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Donations.

> >I would agree with this, people will be much more inclined to
> >donate if they get a say what's to happen with this money.
>
> >1. Donate money and you trust the core group to do the sensible thing.
> >2. Donate money and vote for what happens with it.
>
> In the real world it's always number 2.  And if the elected officials
> don't respect the voters wishes, replace them with ones who do.

This is my point exactly.  You paid your money, you told them what you
like, but there is no guarantee that you got what you wanted.  (As a
matter of fact, you probably didn't.)  But, if you *like* what they did
even so, you give more money.

So, you don't get 'control', you get to state what you like and hope
that the developers choose to impliment it.  If they do, great.  If they
don't, great too, but you may choose not to give more money in the
future because they didn't do what you wanted them to do.

Note, there is no *expectation* of getting your way, just a hint/wish
that they will do it, that they are aware of.  If alot of people 'hint'
a certain direction, it would make sense to fulfill these wishes if more
donations are desired by the core team, so it's in their best interest
to keep you happy (sort of like elected officials).

Your money is a suggestion to do things the way you like, and if they
don't follow you suggestion then you get to take your money elsewhwere.
However, you may still like the job they are doing even if they don't do
exactly the same thing you want.

No voting involved, just expressing your desire to have things done a
certain way.

Nate