Date:      Sun, 16 Feb 2003 08:42:19 -0500
From:      Hiten Pandya <hiten@unixdaemons.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        "local.freebsd.current" <local.freebsd.current@insignia.com>, "'freebsd-current@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 5, Samba and ACL support

On Fri, Feb 14, 2003 at 03:37:50PM -0800, Terry Lambert wrote the words in effect of:
> "local.freebsd.current" wrote:
> > I've been hanging on for a production-ready FreeBSD which
> > supports ACLs so I can replace an NFS server and an NT
> > fileserver with one box which can do both.
> >
> > Changing company circumstances mean that I am forced to
> > look to doing that now, rather than waiting for 5.1 or
> > 5.2.
> >
> > So I'd appreciate feedback from anyone who is using 5.0
> > as a Samba server with ACL support - is it indistinguishable
> > from an NT fileserver from the client POV?
>
> ACLs in UFS are not the same thing as ACLs in NT, they are
> POSIX ACLs, implement as part of MAC (Mandatory Access Controls)
> requirements.
>
> Do not expect them to interoperate with Samba as if Samba were
> an NT server that supported NT ACLs.
>
> Same thing for ACLs in Linux and other UNIX OS's, BTW: they
> tend to comply with the POSIX standard, not with the NT stuff,
> for which I don't think there is a published standard (only
> documentation).

Erm, Terry, I think jedgar@ got ACL's working with Windows NT and
so did I (think) in one of my Samba+ACL's test.  Please check the
following URL(s) regarding Samba+ACLs:

  - http://people.freebsd.org/~jedgar/ACL/
  - http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/fs-acl.html
  - http://samba.mirror.ac.uk/samba/whatsnew/samba-2.2.6.html

Samba 2.2.6 should work with ACLs with an 'external patch'.  See it's
release notes for more information.

Hope that helps.
Cheers.

--