Date:      Fri, 19 Jan 1996 00:01:05 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        phil@cs.strath.ac.uk (Philip Murray)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: execve won't load interpreters

As Philip Murray wrote:

>    I have been trying to set up some text filters for lpd (I even used
> one from the handbook) and discovered that lpd couldn't execve scripts.

EXECVE(2)                  UNIX Programmer's Manual                  EXECVE(2)

NAME
     execve - execute a file

SYNOPSIS
     #include <unistd.h>

     int
     execve(const char *path, char *const argv[], char *const envp[])

DESCRIPTION
     An interpreter file begins with a line of the form:

           #! interpreter [arg]

     When an interpreter file is execve()'d, the system execve()'s runs the
     specified interpreter. If the optional arg is specified, it becomes the
     first argument to the interpreter, and the name of the originally
     execve()'d file becomes the second argument; otherwise, the name of the

cheers, J"org