Date:      Tue, 13 Jan 1998 23:14:25 -0600 (CST)
From:      Font <font@Mcs.Net>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How best to speed up rdumps?

I did do some trials from a P100 IDE box to a PPro200 AHA2940UW box, both
since upgraded a bit to 2.2.5R, and on the same small test partition got:

-b 10	~50K/s
-b 16	~50K/s
-b 24	~80K/s
-b 32	~220K/s
-b 48	~220K/s
-b 60	~220K/s

The command used was

dump 0au -b # -f remotehost:/dev/nrst0 /mountpoint

So now I'm using -b 32 and I've seen dump rates of up to 400K/s on other
dumps, which is acceptable.  Thanks for the tips, they helped encourage me
to experiment and learn.  :-)

dw

A bug in my MUA causes news.announce.newusers                            font
to be sent to beneficiaries and senders of UCE/SPAM.                        @
                                                                      mcs.net
Wishes are like dishes.