Date:      Thu, 26 Jul 2001 23:50:28 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, "Eugene L. Vorokov" <vel@bugz.infotecs.ru>, Soren Kristensen <soren@soekris.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why two cards on the same segment...

Chris Dillon wrote:
> > ...or the mess the FreeBSD alias code is in, with it demanding
> > netmasks of 255.255.255.255 on aliases, so that aliases and the
> > primary IP _MUST_ have the same netmask instead of different ones
> > (hell, he may just be trying to have two IP's with different
> > netmasks, and the only way he can do it in FreeBSD is to have two
> > cards!).
>
> Why would you want multiple IP addresses that belong to the same IP
> network to have different subnet masks?  You'll break the network.
> If you're saying that you can't put two or more different IP addresses
> on one NIC that belong to different IP networks, then don't tell my
> router that, it might decide to stop working. :-)
>
> fxp7: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>         inet 207.160.214.253 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 207.160.214.255
>         inet 207.160.214.252 netmask 0xffffffff broadcast 207.160.214.252
>         inet 192.168.254.254 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.254.255
>         ether 00:08:c7:07:b2:96
>         media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX <full-duplex>)
>         status: active

We saw the error with multiple 10.x addresses, with subnet masks
which should have logically seperated the subnets, but failed to
do the job correctly, when using two cards on the same segment,
with different subnet masks which should have rendered them
non-intersecting.  I can probably get the configuration data for
you, if you are truly interested (this is on a 4.3 derived system).

-- Terry