Date:      Sat, 31 Aug 1996 12:09:33 +0200
From:      "Christoph P. Kukulies" <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
Cc:        FreeBSD hackers list <FreeBSD-hackers@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD talking to Apple Mac?

Wilko Bulte wrote:

> Hi there
>
> This might be stupid but:
>
> I got hold of an ol' Apple Mac Plus. Pretty ancient stuff, that does
> not allow for a ethernet connection. Sofar I did not have much luck
> bringing up PPP on the Mac side.
>
> I know there is something like CAP(?) that can run on Unix machines. But
> I suppose it requires ethernet.
>
> What I'd like to have is something like Appletalk (or is it
> called Localtalk in this case?) that I can hookup to a serial port of
> my FBSD box.

There was a Localtalk/PC from Apple which consisted of an ISA card (with
on board 6502 + sio)  - I have one such card here. PC sios aren't
suitable since appletalk requires HDLC capable sios like the
Zilog 8350 as they can be found also in Sun3 models.

Very unlikely that such a driver exists.

> Anybody any idea if this is feasible or not? Or just plain bogus?
>
> Wilko
>  |   / o / /  _   Wilko Bulte             email: wilko@yedi.iaf.nl
>  |/|/ / / /( (_)  Private FreeBSD site  - Arnhem - The Netherlands

Christoph Kukulies
kuku@gil.physik.rwth-aachen.de