Date:      Tue, 03 Feb 1998 08:43:13 +0900
From:      Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
To:        Donn Miller <dmm125@bellatlantic.net>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: netscape/swap_pager causing problems with syscons

When the X server crashes badly, there is no way for syscons to
recover the screen.  The X server manipulates various registers on the
video chip to get acceleration.  Syscons knows only about the
standard VGA registers, thus, it is impossible for it to set
appropriate values to all those extended registers and get the video
card back into the text mode.

Syscons could program the standard registers and pretend the screen
came back to the text mode in the event of X crash.  But, this would
be disastrous not only that the screen wouldn't probably be restored
because of extended registers, but also that leaving the video chip in
an arbitrary state (the standard registers programmed to the text mode
while the extended registers programmed to the graphics mode) might
damage your hardware (monitor)!

That's my understanding.

I don't think we would like to break the user's monitor by running a
piece of code which is known to be insufficient.

I guess it's time to ask XFree86 people to write a utility to restore
video state after the X server crash.  Afterall, information is there
in XF86Config; which video chip we are dealing with...

# When I find time, I might do it myself.  But, I don't promise :-)

Kazu