Date:      Mon, 4 Mar 2002 17:38:32 -0300 (GRNLNDST)
From:      Marcio d'Avila Scheibler <marcio@cpd.ufsm.br>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Re[2]: newsyslog/rotatelog

> Hello alexus,
>
> What if you use some sort of monthly cron job that runs a shellscript
> a little better than:
>
>   apachectl stop
>   tar -zcvf /backup/accesslog`date`.tgz /path/to/httpd-access.log
>   cp dev/null /path/to/httpd-access.log
>   apachectl start

Have you tried logrotate package (sysutils section) ?
You add logrotate command to your crontab, then
in logrotate.conf you define a
pre-rotate section with commands (apachectl stop)
and a post-rotate section (apachectl start).

It manages gzip and version numbers for you.

log -> log.0 -> log.1.gz -> log.2.gz and so on...

p.s. I lost the beginning of this thread.
Sorry if logrotate package was already menshioned there...