Date:      Tue, 4 Jul 1995 10:45:28 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        freebsd-bugs@freebsd.org, mpp@legarto.minn.net
Subject:   Re: Telnet problem to Linux machine

>My current ISP runs Linux 1.2.8, and I'm running FreeBSD-current, with
>a PPP connection (using pppd, but the problem also shows up with ijppp).
>Ever since I started with this new ISP, anytime I telnet into
>their machine, most of my lines of output are preceded by a single
>space (but not all of the time!).  Vi output usually starts in column

This happens (every time (?)) for my Linux ISP even for telnetting from
the Linux system to itself.  I don't think it is a FreeBSD bug :-).
It might be a BSD bug, however.  Some Linux utilities are ports of
BSD utilities and the different environment exposes bugs.  E.g.,
/usr/bin/mail longjmp's out of fgets() when you hit ^C at the prompt,
corrupting internal stdio state under Linux.  The Linux utilities may
be old.  My ISP is conservative about upgrading and still has 1992
SLS binaries for things like `cat' that haven't changed significantly.
(Unfortunately, `cat' has changed significantly.  The old version
doesn't follow the Gnu standards for options.)

>Yesterday I was playing around with rlogin, and found that if I rlogin
>to the Linux machine, there are no problems, and all output starts
>in column one as it should.  I also noticed that things are fine

Same here.

>And as long as I'm asking...I've also noticed that since I started
>with this ISP, anytime I telnet into their machine, or anywhere
>out in the world, the "del" key always gets interpreted as a backspace.
>Control-U works as a line delete, but NOTHING on my end, or the remote
>end has ^U mapped to anything!  This happens with both telnet & rlogin.

I haven't seen this, but my .profile always sets erase, intr and kill.

Bruce