Date:      Wed, 15 May 2002 09:39:26 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Cc:        alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: memory management fault during netbooting on 4.6-PRERELEASE

Dag-Erling Smorgrav writes:
 > Speaking of DHCP, can anyone explain the following:
 >
 > # /sbin/dhclient dc0
 > pid 43 (dhclient): unaligned access: va=0x11fff02c pc=0x1200271d4 ra=0x1200270fc
 > pid 43 (dhclient): unaligned access: va=0x11fff034 pc=0x1200271d8 ra=0x1200270fc
 >
 > This is on a PWS500au running a freshly installed 5.0-DP1 (not for
 > long though, building world as we speak)

An alpha needs to access memory in naturally aligned chunks.  If a
load or store is done to a misaligned address (a 32-bit load from an
address starting on a 16 bit boundary, for example).  These unaligned
operations generate traps, and the kernel fixes up the load.  This is
very expensive, so the default is to print a warning when it happens.

In a shell, you can use uac -s to cause programs to dump core when
they generate an unaligned access, so that you can debug them.
(assuming gdb worked on alpha in -current, which it doesn't; use the
gdb52 port).  You can also shut things up by using uac -p (or sysctl
machdep.unaligned_print=0 to disable printing system wide).

Drew