Date:      Fri, 28 Mar 1997 03:46:00 +0100 (MET)
From:      Jose Gabriel J Marcelino <gabriel@einstein.fisica.ist.utl.pt>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MSWord docs...

> But WinWord format (which is what we are really discussing here)
> is not documented in the book, though some gross hints are given:
>
> I'm not really interested in hacking this out; I don't own a copy
> of Word to use to generate test data sets of known content, and that's
> probably prohibited in the license if I were to go buy a copy.

You can have a look at this page which describes the format of a WinWord
document file (and the basics for all other M$ software OLE-based
filetypes).
The author was kind enough to provide a Perl package and utilities for
reading Word documents.

http://wwwwbs.cs.tu-berlin.de/~schwartz/pmh/

Cheers,

Gabriel