Date:      Thu, 07 Jul 2005 08:56:00 +1000
From:      Peter Grehan <grehan@freebsd.org>
To:        Sean_Welch@alum.wofford.org
Cc:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mac Mini and Xorg

Hi Sean,

> I rebuilt X and tried to run it after setting the specified sysctl
> and it gets further now than it did earlier.  It is currently
> complaining that there are no valid modes for the driver to use for
> my monitor -- this may be a side effect of the mismatched
> kernel/userland situation.  I'll try again when I get everything
> sync'd up.

  I don't think that's a side-effect. If you look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log
it should show the modes that it's trying to use. From what I've seen, X
isn't able to query the monitor properly. This may be another ppc signed
char bug embedded deep within.

  Net result is that you have to specify the monitor's HorizSync and
VertRefresh ranges so Xorg can pick an appropriate modeline. It'll take
me a while to dig up my mini's Xorg.conf - Tilman, if you're reading, do
you have your's handy ?

> By the way, I just took a chance and stripped out anything in the
> radeon_driver diff I made earlier that was not ifdef'd and
> everything seemed to compile fine when I combined it with the
> already present patches in the port.

  I think you have to keep the non ifdef'd lines of the form

     vgaHWSave(pScrn, &hwp->SavedReg, VGA_SR_ALL);

  ... since that was the issue when VTY switching.

later,

Peter.